Tuesday, February 2, 2010

McIlroy's Major Ambition

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy has targeted a major title within the next four years.

McIlroy claimed his maiden professional victory at last year's Dubai Desert Classic at the age of 19.

He has since posted 11 top-10 finishes on the circuit, including eight in his last nine events, and is up to ninth in the world rankings.

"I am gaining experience every year and by the time I'm 24, 25 I will have played in 20, 25 majors ... so hopefully by then I should know how to finish them off," McIlroy said.

"That's the ultimate goal ... to win a major championship and try and become the best player I can be."

McIlroy, who is back at the Emirates Golf Club to defend his title this week, feels he has learnt a great deal in the intervening 12 months.
Rounded

"I've gained a lot of experience since I won here last year and I've put myself in a lot of great positions to win golf tournaments," he added.

"I haven't quite finished them off but I've learnt from those experiences and feel as if I'm a more-rounded player.

"I feel as if when I get myself into those positions now that I feel a lot more comfortable in final rounds and final groups.

"When I look back on the last 12 months it has been very satisfactory. It was a year when everything was new to me.

"The majors were new and the World Golf Championships were new and I felt as if I handled it pretty well.

"I've gained a lot of experience in them and I feel the experience will help me a lot this year and hopefully I'll perform even better in them."

No comments:

Post a Comment