Thursday, February 11, 2010

Singh on Song for Avantha

The European Tour returns to Asia this week for the unaugural Avantha Masters at the DLF Country and Golf Club on the outskirts of New Delhi.

The event, co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the Professional Golf Tour of India, welcomes an international field light on big name draws.

Ryder Cup star Darren Clarke is by far the most well known European in the line-up and the Ulsterman has enjoyed a fairly solid start to the year, finishing second in last month's Joburg Open.

One of the main contenders and pre-tournament favourites is Liang Wen-chong, winner of the Indian Open in 2008.

Liang admits he is hopeful of a bold show after making a solid start to the new season.

"I'd like to get my season off to a good start. I had a top-25 finish at the Sony Open in the United States back in January and I'm feeling good about my form," Liang said.

"It's always nice to return to the place that brought you fond memories. I hope I'll leave here with sweet memories again at the end of the week."

Completing the three-ball is a player hoping the 'nappy-factor' kicks in this week, Jeev Milkha Singh, who recently celebrated the birth of his first child.

Despite missing out on a lot of practice, the Indian number one is on a high heading into the tournament.

"I'm going to try to win this week but I'm actually more excited about the baby," he said. "I spent more time in the hospital than at the golf course.

"I'm feeling good about my form. It's always nice to win at home and I'll go out there and do my best."

No comments:

Post a Comment