Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Poulter has Major Agenda

Ian Poulter is hoping to use his victory at the WGC Accenture Match Play Championship as a springboard to even greater things.

Poulter defeated fellow Englishman Paul Casey 4&2 in the final on Sunday to claim his maiden success on American soil at the Tucson event.

The 34-year-old is now up to a career-high position of fifth in the world rankings but is far from satisfied.

"It's just another goal achieved and hopefully we can now set our goals a little higher to kick on for the rest of the year," said Poulter, who is still deciding whether to play this week's Phoenix Open or take a well-earned rest.

"I'm not sure if number one is up for grabs. For a while, until Tiger comes back, obviously he's going to be dropping points, so guys will be getting closer and closer."

There is another WGC event in Miami in two weeks and then, of course, comes the Masters in early April.

"An Englishman hasn't won a major for a long time," added Poulter. The last was Nick Faldo at Augusta in 1996.

"It's about time the guys that have put themselves in positions four, five and six in the world, I guess, should step up to the plate and hopefully deliver on that."

The second half of 2008 is when Poulter's career really started to take off.

First came his runner-up finish to Padraig Harrington at the Open and then, under huge scrutiny at the Ryder Cup after being given a wild card by captain Nick Faldo when Darren Clarke was the popular choice, he responded by top scoring in the match with four points out five.

"I don't feel as if I'm under immense pressure (any more) and I'm able to concentrate on the shots I need to play," he added. "Playing against Paul I've never felt more comfortable on a golf course.

"And my short game has been as good as it's ever been. The last 12 months it's been up there with the best of them."
Outspoken

Poulter found himself under scrutiny two years ago after suggesting in a magazine interview that Tiger Woods was the only other golfer in his class.

"The trouble is I don't rate anyone else," it quoted him as saying. "Don't get me wrong, I really respect every professional golfer, but I know I haven't played to my full potential and when that happens it will be just me and Tiger."

Poulter, who claimed the comments were taken out of context, still remembers the reaction it caused - and so does Casey.

"I think everybody chuckled slightly," said Casey.

"But I know how hard he works and how much he cares about it. So deep down I think a lot of people - I for one - thought, you know, it's not that much of an outrageous comment.

"The way he played against me was very impressive.

"Ian will tell you exactly what he's thinking, which always makes me smile. But if Ian believes that, and he does, then there's no reason why he couldn't get to that spot.

"For me it's not about talent, it's about work ethic and belief and all the rest of it, all the other attributes that go into being a great golfer - and he's worked incredibly hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment