Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lee Set to Quit Test Arena

Australia fast bowler Brett Lee looks poised to announce his retirement from Test cricket on Wednesday morning.

A press conference has been called at the Sydney Cricket Ground for Wednesday morning where the 33-year-old is expected to call time on his involvement in the longer format of the game.

Lee hinted last week that he was considering his Test future as he faced up to a lengthy rehabilitation following elbow surgery in December.

The paceman claimed the injury to be the "most painful" of a 76-Test career that has seen him take 310 wickets - placing fourth on the all-time list of Australian bowlers behind Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Dennis Lillee.

Lee missed last year's Ashes series after suffering a side strain on the eve of the first Test and has not worn the baggy green since the 2008 Boxing Day Test against South Africa.

He is understood to have consulted England's Andrew Flintoff - who retired from Test cricket himself at the end of last summer's Ashes series - and last week intimated that he was ready to call time on his Test career.

"As far as my cricket goes, anything is possible - I may play one-dayers, or no cricket at all," he stated.

"I may never bowl another ball and if that's the case, I'm so satisfied with my career and my longevity. I'm not saying it's definitely over, but I'm not sure what I want to be just yet.

"To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what I still want to do in my cricketing life. I need to get to the stage where, if I want to, I can do what I need to do on the field.

"If it's the case that I don't play again, well, that's the case. There is a part of me that would like to play some sort of cricket again."

No comments:

Post a Comment