Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hodgson Hails Vital Victory

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson admitted that the narrow 1-0 success over Portsmouth was essential to the remainder of their season.

The Cottagers went into the home meeting with the Premier League's bottom club on the back of a run of five successive top-flight defeats.

Pompey were the better side for long periods in the first half on the banks of the Thames but were again left with nothing to show for their efforts.

Jonathan Greening scored the only goal of the game 16 minutes from time after the visitors passed up a number of decent opportunities.
Crucial

Hodgson told Sky Sports: "Tonight's victory was a crucial one for us, it was a little bit of a make-or-break.

"If you go to a sixth defeat at home to Portsmouth it's hard to get your season back on track.

"To win was the all-important thing. I've seen us play better, but I've seen us play better and take nothing so I will be quite happy and be grateful for the three points.

"I've got to say it was a fairly fortunate victory, but I think I can put that into context with all the rather unfortunate defeats we've had lately where we haven't really deserved the results we've got. It was good to get the three points and get over the 30 mark.

"It was a good performance from Portsmouth and I can imagine Avram Grant must be absolutely devastated not to get anything from the game but I know how he feels because I have been in that position once or twice myself recently."

Hodgson has seen his side decimated by injuries and he threw new signings Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka into the fray following their loan arrivals from Aston Villa and Roma, respectively, on transfer deadline day.

Big talent

Okaka missed a glorious opportunity to open his account in the first half but somehow headed wide with the goal at his mercy and the Cottagers boss accepts he will need time to settle after his arrival from Serie A.

Hodgson said: "He's going to need a bit of time. He's a big talent but he is going to need time before we can groom him into being a Fulham player.

"He worked hard, he was disappointed with his miss, but it doesn't matter, it is the victory that counts.

"Our problem at the moment is all the injuries. It really is the worst injury crisis I think I've experienced as a manager.

"To lose six players from last year's team, it's so difficult to replace that. I think we are doing pretty well with all the injuries we've had."

No comments:

Post a Comment