Thursday, February 4, 2010

Westy Getting It Sorted

European number one Lee Westwood says he feels his game is coming together having suffered a number of problems with his clubs at the start of the season.

The world number four began the European Tour's Gulf Swing by missing the cut in Abu Dhabi after struggling with a new set of irons but recovered to challenge for glory in Qatar last week.

That title tilt was compromised, though, when Westwood cracked the face of his driver during the third round and struggled to adapt to the replacement.

However, the 36-year-old believes he has found a solution ahead of Thursday's first round of the Dubai Desert Classic at Emirates Golf Club.

"I have been inundated with PING drivers over the last couple of days and I think we're gradually getting it sorted," Westwood said.

"I've got three or four I can choose from, I'll just pick the best and then I will have two or three back ups.

"I think around any golf course, long, straight driving is an asset and that is one of my strongest weapons.

"But I feel like my short game has nearly clicked into place where it was last year and my irons feel good. I feel distance control is very good with this new set of irons.

"I have also had the wedges tested from last year and they passed the groove test so I am using the same wedges as last year so the distance control shouldn't be too much of an issue."

Westwood joins defending champion Rory McIlroy, Abu Dhabi champion Martin Kaymer, a seemingly fully-fit Paul Casey and Dubai-based Henrik Stenson as five of the world's top 10 play this weekend.

Also in the field is world number 17 Robert Karlsson, who won in Qatar last weekend - his first tournament victory since 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment