Roger Federer dismissed suggestions his career was winding down after being beaten in straight sets by Novak Djokovic in the semi-final of the Australian Open.

Defending champion Federer slipped to a 7-6 (7/3) 7-5 6-4 defeat and is now without one of the four grand slam championships in his possession for the first time since 2003.

The Swiss, winner of an open-era record 16 major titles, admitted he was beaten by the better man on Thursday as Djokovic moved on to a final against either Andy Murray or David Ferrer, but scoffed at suggestions he was finished.

"It's not the end in any way," said the 29-year-old. "It's a start for many other tournaments after this.

"Sure, it is disappointing and it hurts at this moment. I wish I could have won here for a fifth time but it wasn't possible tonight."

Snapped

When it was put to him that his and Rafael Nadal's failure to reach the final was the first time that has happened at a major since here in 2008, Federer snapped: "They say that very quickly.

"Let's talk again in six months' time."

The world number two felt he had simply ran into an inspired Djokovic, who preyed on his opponent's misfiring backhand.

"I thought he played a great match," added Federer.

"I didn't think I played badly myself and it was a match played at a very high intensity for a long period of time.

"We had long, tough rallies and played at a very high speed."

Djokovic, meanwhile, was delighted to advance to his fourth grand slam final - of which he has lost two, one each against Federer and Nadal - since his solitary victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the 2008 Australian Open.

"Overall it was a great performance," said Djokovic.

"I am very happy with the way I played. I have been serving well under pressure even though I got tight and made some double faults in the third set when I was up a break.

"That's normal under the circumstances in the late stages of the tournament against Roger."

Premature

Djokovic, the third seed, agreed it was premature to say there was a changing of the guard in the men's game, adding: "It's much too early to say that.

"Roger is still very much motivated to reclaim the top spot in the rankings and he's playing great.

"Tonight I think I played a better match but he's still up there and in extraordinary form.

"And then you have Nadal who has been a very, very dominant player.

"We are still behind them and you can't say there is a new era coming up.

"But there are more players who are able to win majors which is good."