Joe Calzaghe believes his fellow Welshman Nathan Cleverly will "win in style" when he gets his world title shot in 2011.

Light-heavyweight Cleverly looks set to face Jurgen Braehmer after the WBO ordered the German to take on the 23-year-old in his next defence.

Calzaghe, who hung up his gloves in 2009 after 46 straight wins, knows plenty about his compatriot as they used to train together in south Wales.

The 38-year-old also had Cleverly on his under card when he fought Mikkel Kessler in 2007 and then again the following year in Las Vegas, when Calzaghe defeated Bernard Hopkins in his first fight on American soil.

Experience

"I really fancy him to win in style given the opportunity to win a world title," said Calzaghe. "I have been sparring with him for a couple of years.

"It was a great experience for him and it's so helpful when you have boxed on a world-title bill, when you've fought on my undercard, when you've fought at the Millennium Stadium and in Vegas.

"You can't buy that kind of experience so I know he will blend straight in when he's fighting for a world title because he's been in the ring with the best and he has nothing to be over-awed by."

Cleverly has a perfect 21-0 record so far and claimed the interim WBO strap last time out with a unanimous points win over Nadjib Mohammedi.

While the 23-year-old may have failed to fire in the victory, Calzaghe insists the only thing that really mattered was making sure he came out on top.

Stinkers

"I went for a run with Nathan recently. That brought back good memories for me because I used to run with him all the time," he added.

"He lives about two miles where I'm from so whenever I'm back in Wales I give him a shout and we train. He was a bit disappointed with his last performance but I told him: 'All that matters is a win'.

"You can't always win great as I have shown. I have been in quite a lot of stinkers over my time.

"He came out with a win and I'm sure he will be 100% focused and will win a title within a few months."